|cumin seeds||2 tsp|
|olive oil||2 tbsp|
|carrots, washed and coarsely grated (no need to peel)||600 gr|
|split red lentils||140 gr|
|hot vegetable stock (from cube is fine)||1l|
|naan bread, to serve|
- Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry 2 tsp cumin seeds and a pinch of chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan and release their aromas.
- Scoop out about half with a spoon and set aside. Add 2 tbsp olive oil, 600g coarsely grated carrots, 140g split red lentils, 1l hot vegetable stock and 125ml milk to the pan and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have swollen and softened.
- Whizz the soup with a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth (or leave it chunky if you prefer).
- Season to taste and finish with a dollop of plain yogurt and a sprinkling of the reserved toasted spices. Serve with warmed naan breads.